What does the study involve?
EMPOWER is about 2 hours per week of tips from experts, guided meditation, and physical movement at your own pace.
- Up to 5 hours per week of extra content.
- The content is tailored to your chronic physical condition.
Who can join?
Participants must be diagnosed with:
- a chronic physical condition (heart failure, primary biliary cholangitis, digestive disease, liver cirrhosis, inflammatory bowel disease, cancer or be post-transplant or a woman who has experienced a cardiac event.)
How do I sign up?
If you’re interested in joining the program, you can Click Here. You’ll be taken to a form where you’ll be asked to fill out your name and email address. Then, you’ll be redirected to complete an informed consent and some additional short surveys.
- Transform your health with an online program.
- You’ll get access to expert led physical movement, breathwork and meditation programming.
- You will be able to attend weekly group sessions to do the program alongside other participants and you may receive 1-1 check-ins lasting about 15 minutes each week.
Who can Join?
- Participants must be above 18 years old.
- Diagnosed with a physical chronic condition.
- People speaking English from any country may join.
- People with any serious uncontrolled mental conditions can not participate.
Who is the research team behind this program?
The research team behind the EMPOWER program is led by Dr. Puneeta Tandon, who is a medical doctor and researcher specializing in liver disease and mind-body wellness interventions at the University of Alberta.
- Clinicians across North America contribute to give weekly healthcare advice.
- Professionals in tai chi, yoga, meditation, and breathwork create EMPOWER’s weekly guided mindful movement routines.
ethics ID: Pro00122568
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more, or sign up using the questionnaire to get in touch with the research team.
Wayturn is a specialist clinical trial advertising agency hired by the University of Alberta
Additional study information
As part of the EMPOWER program, you’ll be asked to participate in an evidence-based mind-body wellness intervention for at least 120 minutes per week.
You’ll also get access to weekly tips from doctors and other health care professionals about living with a chronic condition, and a psychology program about topics that help you to identify your values, learn about pacing and improve your sleep.
A large team of professionals have contributed to the program including Dr. Dayna Lee-Baggley a Registered Clinical Psychologist.
At this time we have a general program for any chronic physical condition, as well as specific programs for the following chronic physical conditions: primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), heart failure, cirrhosis, chronic kidney disease, and individuals who are post-organ transplant. When you complete your surveys, we will sort you into your appropriate program.
This program has resulted in significant improvements in anxiety, depression, stress and fatigue in individuals with chronic conditions.
Please share this research study with someone who might be interested!